Abaca understands the success of a company is directly linked to the quality and drive of its employees.
Interested in becoming involved in a start-up company with industry-changing, breakthrough technology founded by Steve Kirsch, one of Silicon Valley's most famous and respected entrepreneurs and philanthropists
If you are ready for the incredible opportunities and exhilarating challenges associated with an early start-up, join our team and enter the dynamic messaging security space.
Abaca prides itself not only on its innovative technology, but also on the talent of it's people. Come work the some of the most intelligent and talented people in the industry. As a member of the Abaca family, you are encouraged to think and act like owners.
Join a team that is passionate about innovating where you will have the opportunity to make a direct and significant impact. Keep up with our fast paced and exciting environment. Pretty soon you'll realize everything you need is here — friends, food, computers, and a foosball table.
We invite you to apply to become a member of our team.
Abaca has the following open positions:
For general job inquires, send email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Principal Scalability Engineer
Have you deployed both no-sql and SQL solutions before? Have you figured out the no-sql versus SQL balance? Do you like to program in C/C++ or Java? Abaca's looking for a few good engineers that understand these issues and can help us build first class email security products for large customers.
- Own meta-data model and data model migration over time
- Decide if Abaca's current meta-data and blob store are appropriate and choose new solutions if necessary
- Support database related aspects of hosted and field installations
- Work on other C/C++ or Java projects that may or may not be data related
- Write and run performance and scalability tests in cooperation with QA
- Recommend and occasionally support disk arrays used for data operations
- Support pre-sales efforts for large customers
- 5+ years experience with large-scale high-availability architectures
- 4+ years experience with several SQL databases
- 2+ years experience and knowledge of no-sql landscape
- 2+ years caching design experience
- Understanding of normalized and de-normalized tradeoffs
- 5+ years experience with unix (preferably linux)
- 3+ years experience on production systems
- Understanding of disk types (cheap, server, ssd) and configurations (RAID, NAS, SAN)
- 2+ years experience performance testing and tuning your designs
- experience designing hybrid meta-data (sql like) combined blob data architectures
- 5+ years high-availability design experience (data integrity, replication, failure recovery)
- 5+ years experience with open-source solutions
- 5+ years experience with C/C++ and/or Java
- Experience with cloud storage options a plus
- Experience with couch and postgresql plusses
- Experience at a company that deployed a large production database - preferably nosql
- Must be able to compare at least 2 nosql databases
- Must be able to compare nosql databases with sql databases
- Must know unix
- Hands-on operations experience
Software Engineers needed at leading messaging security start up!
Abaca Technology is a 10-person, and growing, company located in San Jose. We're looking for Principal-Level Software Engineers to help lead the invention, architecture, design and implementation of major features in Abaca CLX Anti-Spam Solution. Our Engineers own the technical design, quality, scalability, and performance of all of our products. This includes writing and unit-testing code, documenting changes, and working with Quality Assurance. Over time, our engineers become subject matter experts for technologies related to messaging, content filtering, large-scale distributed systems, and policy management.
- Develop and maintain features in the Abaca CLX Anti-Spam Solution which includes message system integration, system management, reporting, and system monitoring
- Develop and extend features in Abaca's Messaging Center web application, which includes user interface, systems management, web services, and database integration.
- Passion for eliminating spam and for delivering high quality customer-friendly products
- Ability to design and write robust, scalable, secure, efficient, and maintainable code
- A flexible, positive, can-do attitude
- Strong academic background and track record as an individual technical contributor
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science or a related field
- Expertise in data structures and algorithms
- Experience with UNIX or Linux
- Fluency in one or more of: C, C++, Java; and familiarity with one or more of: Python, Shell, PHP
- Knowledge of SQL and relational databases, knowledge of "NoSQL" databases a plus
- Knowledge of Internet email related protocols, including SMTP and LDAP, is a plus
- Expertise in designing, analyzing, and troubleshooting large-scale high availability distributed systems a plus
- Experience in a high-volume or critical production service environment is preferred
- Effective in working with Quality Assurance, Documentation, and Technical Support
- Strong written, oral and presentation skills
Quality Assurance Manager
This is a senior hands-on lead role to manage all QA activities at Abaca.
- Design and prioritize functional, compatibility and performance test plans
- Design and build lab and work with management to justify lab hardware and software
- Work with customers as needed (initially) during alpha and beta tests of new products
- Work closely and collaboratively with engineers to ensure testable solutions
- Write test plans
- Write code and/or scripts needed to functionally test our unique solutions
- Setup leading MTAs in a lab and ensure proper integration with Abaca software
- Setup directory services (RADIUS, LDAP) and ensure proper integration with Abaca software
- Work with documentation staff on installation guides on various MTAs
- Find or write software to stress test millions of users against Abaca servers
- Maintain and monitor QA lab
- A self-starter
- 6+ years overall QA experience
- Leadership experience (preferably some management experience)
- Experience writing test plans
- Experience designing and setting up a QA lab
- UNIX System Administration experience including shell scripting
- Networking knowledge including TCP/IP and HTTP
- Understanding of SMTP and POP3 (in depth knowledge highly desirable)
- Experience automating functional and load-tests
- Experience testing HTML applications
- Must understand the general software development release lifecycle, source management and defect management methodologies in a mixed Microsoft Windows, Macintosh and Linux environment.
- Must be able to "demonstrate" a well written/communicated bug report.
- Ability to work with little supervision in a fast-paced environment.
- The ability to handle many different projects and activities at once is essential.
- Demonstrate ability to complete highly detailed tasks with strict attention to quality, completeness and timeliness. Strong organizational and self-management skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- unix shell scripting expertise
- must write test plans
- must know http protocol
- must be able to tell management yes/no on whether to ship a product